FBK is a private research institute based in Trento (Italy) and operating in different scientific fields and disciplines. It has the aim of maintaining the Autonomous Province of Trento within the mainstream of international research. FBK is made up of seven centers with different research interests (www.fbk.eu/research-centers).
CREATE-NET’s center mission is built around three key points that determine the direction of its Research, Engineering and Innovation activities:
• Achieve Research excellence in ICT, with focus on telecommunications
• Promote technology transfer towards the industry through engineering of technologies & solutions
• Focus on key application areas and services with impact on quality of life for the global society
By creating synergies between leading academic institutions, research centers and ICT industry in Europe and around the world, CREATE-NET’s objective is to develop the highest quality research and innovation, while impacting communications-enabled services that improve the quality of life of the global society in focused application areas.
The position offered is an excellent opportunity for candidates with a background in networking technologies, with specific competences and background on control and management of multi-layer (packet- and circuit-based) networks, to evolve modern infrastructures to cope with the requirements of different industry verticals and applications.
The purpose of FBK’s Tenure Track program is to offer high level professionals the opportunity of pursuing a structured career path in order to become a tenured researcher contributing to the long term strategy of the organization.
Within this framework, FBK-CN is looking for a Researcher in the field of multi-layer networks and infrastructures. The successful applicant will have a relevant publication record in this field and will be required to carry out research activities in the areas of multi-layer networks and infrastructures, network resources orchestration and virtualization, fog distributed computing.
The candidate is expected to:
- Contribute to the group's publications, with a good degree of autonomy, proposing innovative topics at group level. Contributes to the writing of planning documents in keeping with the research strategy of the group and the Center, both for internal activities within the Center and for projects in collaboration with other institutions or industries.
- Contribute to the group's development activities in agreement with colleagues and in line with the Center's strategy.
- Coordinate the publication activities of less experienced researchers engaged in both research and development activities in the field of multi-layer networks and infrastructures,
- Contribute to the sustainability of the team, by acquiring funding from both public and private sources;
- Be involved in project management activities (EU and industrial projects);
- Establish and manage relations with national and international industry partners and stakeholders, and manage the interactions with the European Commission (when required);
- Contributes to the achievement of research results in the group, contributing to the communication and dissemination of research outputs, leading to the successful publication of high-quality scientific articles in international conferences and journals;
- Define and execute actions for the technology transfer of the matured knowledge, develop proof-of-concepts and demonstrators;
- PhD in Information Technology or related fields;
- 3 or more years of experience in a team as researcher working on advanced networking technologies;
- Research experience in the context of multi-layer (from packet to optical) and application-centric networking, with a specific focus on control and management; knowledge of existing tools and technologies;
- Experience in writing successful EU-funded research proposals.
- Experience as coordinator of EU-funded Research and Innovation projects, or as Principal Investigator of industry-funded projects;
- Experience in the coordination of the publication activities of less experienced researchers and as advisor of PhD students/young researchers;
- Flexibility, ability to achieve goals in a rapidly changing environment;
- Good organizational and problem-solving skills (planning, scheduling, managing resources, meeting deadlines);
- Fluent in English and italian (both written and oral).
- Ability to contextualise the proposed research in a broader picture in which emerging technologies (e.g. cloud and fog computing) and open issues (e.g. robustness and security) play an important role;
- Good communication/interpersonal skills (e.g. team work).
Type of contract: Tenure Track position leading to an FBK third Level Researcher (R3) permanent contract.
The maximum duration of the Tenure Track contract is 5 years (which may be reduced depending on the assessment by the Committee of the candidate’s capacities and skills). If the final assessment of the Tenure Track experience is positive, the selected candidate for the tenure track position will be offered a permanent R3 contract.
Gross annual salary: from € 38.100 to € 42.000 per year, depending on the candidate’s experience
Working hours: full time
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, internal car park, welcome office support for visa formalities, accommodation, social security, etc., reductions on bank account opening fees, public transportation, sport, language course fees. More info about benefits offered to employees can be found at https://www.welfarefbk.info/.
Start date: Autumn 2018
Workplace: Povo (TN)
Application deadline: 13th of August 2018
Candidates are required to submit their applications by filling in the online form by clicking on "Apply online" at the bottom of this page.
Please make sure that your application includes the following attachments (pdf. format):
- Detailed CV including publications list
- Cover Letter (explaining your motivation for this specific position)
- Statement of research interests
- Two professional references (e-mails and/or phone numbers)
Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed by an International Selection Committee.
Please read the Guidelines for Selection, and Tenure Track FAQ before completing your application.
For further information or technical issues regarding the application, please contact the Human Resources Service at email@example.com.