FBK-IRVAPP is a policy-relevant research institute based in Trento (Italy). Its scientific mission includes the evaluation of public policies as well as the dissemination of findings from this research, the promotion of a culture of impact evaluation and the training of policy evaluators. The institute is one of the top institutions for the research on public policies in Italy.
The methodological paradigm underlying empirical work at the institute is the counterfactual analysis of causality. Research activities focus on labour policies, education policies, industrial policies, welfare policies and social and economic programmes in developing countries and culture policies.
The institute invites applications from MA qualified or junior researcher to contribute to its institutional activity.
This is an excellent opportunity for candidates with a background in the social sciences (economics, political science, sociology, statistics or related disciplines) and an interest in the evaluation of public policies.
More information about IRVAPP is available at https://irvapp.fbk.eu
The FBK-IRVAPP is looking for a candidate to a research assistant position in the field of the evaluation of public policies.
The candidate is expected to:
- Assume duties and responsibilities appropriate to the appointment as may be assigned to him/her by the Governing bodies of the Institute or, as appropriate, by their Deputy acting on their behalf;
- Work closely with the Director, the Research Director and other senior researchers in specific projects;
- Assist senior and junior researchers in carring out the analysis required to the development of Irvapp’s research activities;
- Prepare, also in cooperation with Irvapp’s senior and junior researchers, reports as well as journal and conference papers on the research work done;
- Present results at scientific meetings and conferences;
- Any other duties as may be assigned from time to time by the Director.
The ideal candidate should have:
- MA o MSc degree (or equivalent experience) in Social sciences (Economics, Political Science, Sociology, Statistics or related disciplines);
- Good knowledge of statistical modelling and experience of using quantitative research methods;
- Strong working knowledge of Stata and, possibly, R.;
- Oral and written proficiency in English and Italian. If not proficient in Italian, commitment to acquire it on the job.
- Interest and experience in evaluation of public policies research;
- Good understanding of general methodological issues related to policy impact evaluation;
- Excellent interpersonal skills and willingness to work effectively in team, as well as independently;
- Commitment to rigorous scientific research.
Type of contract: fixed term contract
Work time: full time
Gross annual salary: about € 33.300,00
Start date: preferably from June 2018
Duration: 1 year. Under the same conditions, the contract may be extended for further 2 years.
Work Place: Trento (Italy).
Benefits: flexi-time, company subsidized cafeteria or meal vouchers, welcome office support, accommodation support, reductions on bank accounts, internal car park, town public transportation, fees for language courses, sport opportunities. More info at https://www.welfarefbk.info/.
Candidates are requested to submit their application by clicking on "Apply Online" at the bottom of this page. Please make sure that your application includes the following attachments (pdf. format):
- detailed CV (including statement of research interest and the name of two referees);
- letter of motivation regarding scientific interests;
- list of possible publications.
Application deadline: 14th of May 2018
New Application deadline: 31st of May 2018
Please read the Guidelines for selections before applying.
For further information, please contact the Human Resources Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview ten days before the date of the interview.
After the interview a practical test will be administer to all shortlisted candidates to assess their ability in data handling and data analysis (descriptive statistics and statistical modelling) using STATA.
Non selected applicants will be notified of their exclusion at the end of the selection process.
Please note that FBK may contact the candidates of the suitability list within a period of 12 months, for the selection processes of similar vacancies.
For reasons of professional transparency, the name of the successful candidate will be published on the FBK website following acceptance of the position.